The Terrace Inn
and 1911 Restaurant
Bay View, Michigan
Homemade Bourbon Cherry Ice Cream
Makes One Gallon
1 Cup Tart Cherries, dried
3 Cups Jim Beam or Evan Williams Bourbon
8 Cups (2 Qt.) Half and Half, not fat-free
4 Cups (1 Qt.) Heavy Whipping Cream
4 Cups Granulated Sugar
2 Tsp. Salt
2 Cups Bittersweet Chocolate Chunks
2 Tsp. Vanilla
Electric Ice Cream Maker
1. 1-2 days in advance, combine cherries and bourbon in a tightly lidded container. Shake from time to time.
2. When you are ready to make the ice cream, combine half and half, whipping cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a 6-quart saucepan. Heat over medium heat to 170F. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Strain bourbon from cherries, reserving liquid for another use. Add cherries to warm custard and stir. Allow the custard to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a tightly lidded container and refrigerate
4. Add chocolate chunks. Blend in electric ice cream maker for 1 hour. The mixture will not be set hard.
5. Transfer back to a tightly lidded container. Place in freezer for 6 hours and stir once or twice to assure even distribution of cherries and chocolate.
Scoop into a bowl. May garnish with a mint leaf, cherry, or shaved chocolate.